George P. Field
George Field brings hard-won skills in hundreds of trials, appeals, mediations, and arbitrations to his broad-ranging practice in dispute resolution and related legal advising.
Sought out for his practical and efficient approach to complicated problems, George has successfully represented businesses and individuals in:
- business and partnership restructuring and separation;
- fiduciary and directors' and officers' disputes;
- patent, trademark and copyright litigation;
- commercial and employment litigation and mediation;
- bankruptcy litigation including claims resolution, contested matters and adversary proceedings;
- international arbitration;
- real estate and title disputes;
- trusts and estates and probate litigation;
- and many other areas.
George is also a mediator, trained and credentialed under Mass. Gen. Laws c. 233, sec. 23C and Rule 8 of the Supreme Judicial Court Rules of Dispute Resolution. He provides confidentiality protected by statute, in the mediation of all commercial, estate, probate and family disputes. As a practicing trial lawyer and business advisor with first-person experience in hundreds of disputes, George is well-equipped to help the parties analyze and resolve their differences.
George is an active member of the Bar in Florida as well as Massachusetts, and provides a full range of advice and referrals for clients with Florida interests and concerns. He has litigated in more than twenty jurisdictions beyond Massachusetts (as well as several federal district courts and bankruptcy courts, and at least four federal circuit courts of appeal), and can assist with national and international advice and referrals.
Recognized by his peers for the quality of his work, George has been consistently rated:
- among the Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy Litigation, Trusts & Estates Litigation) from 2005-2013;
- a Massachusetts Super Lawyer (Top 100 in 2008, 2011) from 2004-2012; and
- a New England Super Lawyer (Top 100 in 2011) from 2011-2012.
He has also received the Fraser Award for Pro Bono Excellence from the Boston Arts and Business Council (Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts).
George is a graduate and active alumnus of Boston Latin School, Harvard College, and Boston College Law School. Dedicated to “paying forward” on his success, George has led programs for Boston urban youth for more than twenty years, including: the Boston Bar Association High School Summer Jobs Program; the Discovering Justice civic education program; the Boston Latin School Foundation; and the Boston College Law School loan repayment assistance program for public-service graduates. George is currently a board member of the Boston Bar Foundation (and its Grants Committee) and the South Boston Neighborhood House.
Areas of Practice
- Litigation & Appeals
- Massachusetts, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1992
- Florida, 1992
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1978
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- A.B. summa cum laude - 1971
- Instructor, Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Program
- Instructor, Boston College Law School Ethics Program
- Instructor, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education in Trial Practice
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2006 - 2013
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2006 - 2012
- New England Super Lawyers, 2011 - 2012
- AV Rating from Martindale Hubbell, 1982 - 2012
- Robert B. Fraser Award for Pro Bono Excellence
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Boston Bar Association, Executive Committee and Governing Council
- Boston Bar Foundation, Board Member and Charter Fellow
Past Employment Positions
- Verrill Dana LLP, Partner